Shoulder pain is becoming a common problem in old people. There are several factors that can contribute to shoulder pain. It mostly occurs in people above the age of 50 years.
Causes of shoulder pain:
The most prevalent cause of shoulder pain is rotator cuff tendinitis. This condition is often termed as swollen tendons. Impingement syndrome is one of the other common causes of shoulder pain. In this, the rotator cuff gets caught between two parts, acronium (the ball-covering part of the scapula), and humeral head (the ball of the humerus).
In some cases, shoulder pain is often due to the injury at any other location in the body mostly the neck or biceps. It is termed as referred pain, and it doesn’t get worse at the movement of the shoulder.
The other causes of shoulder pain are:
- Cartilage gets torn
- Rotator cuff gets torn
- Swelling of bursa sacs or tendons
- Projections of bones developing at the edges of bones or bone spurs
- Pinched nerve
- Shoulder get broken or arm damage
- Frozen shoulder
- Shoulder dislocation
- Injury because of the repetitive use of shoulder
- Injury in the spinal cord
- Heart problems
Diagnosis of the cause of shoulder pain:
Firstly the doctor will find out the cause of the shoulder pain. He will ask your medical history and also do a physical examination of your shoulder and other body parts.
The doctor will analyze the tenderness and swelling of the shoulder joint, plus also check the motion of your shoulder. Other tests such as MRI and X-ray will help in diagnosis by producing the detailed pictures.
The doctor will ask you several other questions for knowing the cause, such as:
- Are you feeling pain in one shoulder or both?
- Did you experience pain suddenly? If yes, then what were you doing?
- Are you feeling pain in other areas of the body?
- Can you pinpoint the pain area?
- Does it cause pain when you are not moving?
- Is there any particular movement when you feel more pain?
- Is the pain sharp or dull?
- Is the area of pain feeling hot, red, or swollen?
- Are you not able to sleep at night?
- Were you not able to do certain activities due to the pain?
After diagnosing the proper cause, the orthopedic surgeon will move further for providing you with the right treatment. If you are looking for the best shoulder pain treatment in Jaipur, then consult none other than Dr. Lalit Modi, at Jaipur joints, the best joint replacement and arthroscopy surgeon in the city.