What is Knee Instability?
If you are feeling any sensation of the twisting knee or moving side to side while doing some basic activities then it is called knee instability. Generally, it is caused due to the injuries in the ligaments.
Symptoms of Knee Instability:
The symptoms of knee instability are usually observed while doing side-to-side movements. The symptoms can be observed while playing sports or doing basic activities like moving out of the car.
The common symptoms are:
- Feeling of knee out of place: There would be a continuous sensation that the knee is popping out of the place and will collapse under you.
- Looseness: You will feel a sensation of looseness of the structures in the knee.
- Joint locking: There would be a feeling that the knee joint is locking.
- Pop in the knee: You can feel or hear the popping sound or clicking in the knee.
- Hardness in completely straighten the knee.
- Pain and Swelling are quite common.
Causes of Knee Instability:
Mostly, knee instability is due to Ligament Sprain and Ligament tear.
- Ligament sprain: Then sprains in the ligaments are because of the damages in the fibers of the ligaments due to wear and tear stress or trauma.
- Ligament tear: Ligament tear means that the fibers of the ligaments have been completely or partially torn. This generally happens when while running the runner suddenly changes his direction. In this, the knee points the straight while the rest of the body twists the other way.
The other causes of knee instability are:
- Damages in muscle: The damaged muscle is unable for proper physical contraction.
- Fluid building by the injury which interferes in the muscle action.
Some causes which have very fewer chances to cause knee instability are:
- Partial Dislocation: If you do very hard and strenuous enough which can damage the ligaments, there are very chances of the damage in the cartilage around the knee as well. This can cause the dislocation of patella or kneecap.
- Cartilage tears: The upper and lower leg bones cartilages which meet under the kneecap, becomes torn.
- Cartilage wear: The cartilage can wear away over a course of time, which cause pain and difficulty in moving.
- Birth deformity: A person can even be born with this deformity which makes the joint vulnerable for slipping out of the place.
Knee Instability Conditions:
- Meniscal Injury: Generally, damage to the meniscus happens along with the injury in the knee, because of any powerful force. The general symptoms are pain, stiffness, and swelling.
- ACL Injury: Anterior Cruciate Ligament is a very important tendon that connects the thigh bone to the shin bone. Damage to it can cause stiffness and pain in the knee.
- MCL sprain: Medical collateral ligament connects the thigh bone and the shin bone in the inner side.
- Patellar Subluxation: Patellar subluxation in the knee is the continued instability of the kneecap. It can cause anterior knee pain.
- Knee arthritis: Arthritis is inflammation in one or more joints. Stiffness, pain, and swelling are common symptoms.
JaipurJoints is one of the best clinic in Jaipur for Knee Replacement Surgery. Dr. Lalit Modi is offering for all types of hip, knee, and shoulder replacement surgeries at an affordable cost.
MBBS, MS, DNB, MNAMS, Gold Medalist,
Knee, Hip & Shoulder Specialist 10+ Year Experience